Introduction to an Actual Werewolf (probably)

I am William Wallace.

Not really, but wouldn't that be sick? I'm not actually a medieval Scottish hero, but I'm still a pretty neat person.

My name is Jessica Lee Tunnell and I am the youngest of four kids. I have two sisters and one brother. My parents have been married for like, ever, and I think that's incredible (in fact, today is their anniversary. Congrats mom and dad). I love my family and hang out with them probably more than is normal for a typical twenty-two year old. But if your nephews were as cute as this:
Owen and Beckett
wouldn't you want to take them to the zoo all the time? (I have three other nephews too, so keep an eye out for those cuties) I attribute a lot of my family's closeness to the fact that we were all homeschooled for most of our lives (yes, I know, haha, make fun of the homeschooled kid, I can take it). We were homeschooled so that we could travel and see the world! Well, the country that is. You see, my dad is a coach in the MLB (that's Major League Baseball, for my readers who don't sport). That seems like a pretty exciting life, but in reality it just means my dad is traveling like, alllllllllll the time from February-October, and then just hangs out with me and my siblings during the in-between months.
Yeah, we're a baseball family 

A description of my major
All right, enough about the fam, here's more about me. I'm a senior here at the University of Oklahoma and I'm getting my degree in Anthropology. Why Anthropology, you ask? Excellent question. Please let me know if you ever figure out the answer. I have also earned a minor in Judaic and Israeli Studies. I did not intend to earn this minor. In fact I literally did not know it existed until I had already earned it. I guess that says another something about me: I love the Bible. Seriously, I think it is genuinely fun, interesting, and satisfying to study the Bible and learn what it says and what is said about it. So that's how I intentionally got a minor that I'm apathetic at best about and accidentally got a minor that I love. 



You may, at this point, be wondering if I'm a Christian. The answer is a big fat yes (I'd love to chat about why with anyone curious enough to ask). A lot of what I do centers on this attribute. When I posted about my favorite places, one of them was a place called Kanakuk, a place that has taught me so much about my faith. It is at this crazy, intense, hilarious, adventurous, challenging summer camp that I experience the most growth. At Kanakuk we get to do awesome things like teach high school kids about Jesus, dance in a gym full of foam, and (attempt) to pull a giant inflatable flamingo behind a boat while a girl named Byrdie sat in the middle, and teach teenagers how to shoot a shot gun (even if you've never shot one yourself). Basically, its a hoot and a half and I hope I get to it every summer forever.
A Rooftop Concert in a Sailboat
AKA a typical day in the office 
All right, time to wrap this up with some random facts about me that are hopefully entertaining. I hate all vegetables. I love making fun of Russia, but I'm also very afraid of Russia. I watch Game of Thrones. I LOVE NARNIA. My spirit animal is a wolf. I broke my pinky in 11th grade and now it's crooked forever. I love Dr. Pepper. I go to sonic almost everyday (but I don't get a Dr. Pepper). Parks and Rec is the greatest show ever made (that's not a fact about me, just a fact about life). I love Shakira. I might be a mermaid. I have a dog named Gibson who is 95% perfect (the 5% bad is because he steals food and has the foulest smelling farts). I firmly believe that the Denver Airport and Beyonce are intricately connected to the illuminati. That's basically everything you need to know. 

Knope Out.



Comments

  1. Nice to meet you, Jessica! Your nephews are adorable and that is so awesome that you had the chance to travel the country with your family growing up, I am so envious of that. I think it is really cool that you are a Judaic and Israeli studies major, because I am a religious studies major! And I know what you mean about earning a minor you didn't even try for, that happened to me with a history minor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! Your introduction is great! Your nephew are so cute and it is awesome that you and your family are so close. I also am really close with my family, so I can definitely understand what you mean when you say, "you hang out with them more than is probably normal for a twenty-two year old." Even though I live three hours away, I still go home most weekends just to hang out with them. Also, what kind of dog is Gibson? I have an english bulldog and can relate to the 95% perfect and 5% bad comment, and due to the exact same reasons too! Nice meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely winning the cutest nephew prize so far this semester, Jessica! Maybe you can create a Storybook project in which these two fellows are the heroes and somehow end up in India accomplishing epic feats! And with homeschooling, you are totally ready for this class... as you can see, within the limits that OU sets, I try to make this as much of an un-schooling adventure as I can manage. :-)

    And there are so many possible ways this class can intersect with your interests... India could turn out to be lurking at the margins of so many of your interests! For example: Thomas the Apostle in India ... maybe you could find a way to make the legends about Thomas into a frametale for a Storybook project.

    So many possibilities... and I am curious which way your interests will lead you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jessica! It's great that you're part of such a loving family. It must be cool to have a dad who's a MLB coach, but it's a shame he can't hang around a lot because of his work. I can kinda sympathize with you in accidentally getting a minor, in that I'm ending up with a math minor by the time I graduate because my degree requires so many math courses, haha. Also, Kanakuk seems like a really fun and interesting camp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica!

    I loved your introduction, your personality really shines through your writing! I'm right there with you with both my family and my faith, I had an interview this weekend for vet school and they even commented about how most people our age aren't so tight-knit with their family and aren't so open with their faith. I think those are the two biggest things that shaped and continue to shape me into who I am! I have a lot of friends who do Kanakuk and I've seriously never heard a bad thing about it, that's so cool that you've gotten to be involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jessica.Wow having your dad as an MLB coach must be really exciting! Must have some cool stories growing up. I also worked at a Christian summer camp the past few summers and have many friends who worked at Kanakuk, so I can relate to that. Those are some of the best summers of my life, I even wrote my "favorite place" post about it. That's super cool also that you love Narnia, I read all the books when I was younger but feel like I can catch new things and appreciate them more now that I'm older! Good luck with the rest of college!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessica, it is nice meeting you! When I read the title of your blog domain "Tunnel Vision," I was intrigued and I thought your name was Tunnel, but then I realized that Tunnel was your last name haha! Props on the clever blog domain name - major props to you. You seem such a positive, funny, and happy person, which are great traits to have. I can relate to being close to family and being a (Catholic) Christian, two things which I love most in this world. It must have been fun traveling while growing up with your dad being a MLB coach! Do you have a favorite city that you have lived in? Well, it is nice meeting you and best wishes in the rest of your college endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica! I get what you mean, I hang out with my family all the time! Your nephews are too adorable, I would put them on my snapchat story them 24/7 lol. That’s cool that you got to travel a lot. I’m sorry that you don’t get to see your dad a lot but that does seem like an exciting job that he has. I definitely agree that Parks and Rec is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jessica!

    I loved reading your intro! Your nephews are the cutest, the fact that you are so close to your family is awesome! I probably spend much more time with my family than a 20 year old would. That's so neat that you're an anthropology major, it seems very neat. Out of the whole intro I loved your last paragraph, it was very fun to read and a great way to summarize your main traits! Looking forward to reading some of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jessica, It was so nice to get to know you a little bit better! It seems to me like you have a very close knit family that has a lot of fun together, that's awesome. I think that you are the first person I have met that is an Anthropology major so that is pretty cool as well. It was nice to see all your personal photos as well, thank you for sharing a little bit of yourself with us! I wish you luck in the rest of the semester and hope all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jessica!!

    So cool to get to know you! I too have a family that is really close. It is honestly the best thing in the world. I am also a pretty big baseball fan. And it is so cool that your dad is an an MLB coach. Im honestly jealous. I cant wait to learn more about you over the semester and read more of your writing! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jessica!

    I like the title of your Introduction. I prefer werewolves because they remind me of my dog, Rudy! I like your pun of "Tunnell Vision", very clever! Your nephews are SO cute! That is so cool that your dad was a coach for the MLB! What teams did he coach? Homeschooling has a pretty flexible schedule from traditional schooling. When did you start public schools? Was it a hard or easy transition? I love how passionate you are about your religion. It is always interesting to learn more about Christianity! It has so much to offer. I loved getting to know you through your introduction and I am excited to read your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jessica!

    I loved reading your introduction. It's crazy that after 9 weeks I am still stumbling upon new introductions and new people in our class. I think its great that you speak out on your faith and your love of the Bible! I didn't even know those majors existed, but it's cool that you earned those solely off of engaging in something you love. I am excited to read the rest of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jessica! I really liked reading your introduction! It was so lively and fun to read! your nephews are so adorable. I commend you for your passion for your religion. These days, it is hard to find people who find more meaning to their lives than what is on the surface. It is really nice to still find new people in this class, even though we have been through 10 weeks of class!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Jessica!
    I really like the design and layout of your blog and I feel like incorporating personal photos into your introduction was a nice touch! Your nephews Owen and Beckett are too cute! Also, I think it’s so cool that you were able to do so much traveling with your family while you grew up. I hope you are having a great semester so far and I can’t wait to explore the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jessica!

    Oh man. I’m so happy your family is so large and that your parents have been together for so long! That’s very rare indeed, these days. Your nephews are adorable, look at those smiles! I would indeed take them to the zoo.
    Extra points for the Parks and Rec gif! I too know not what I am doing. My major is Film and Media Studies, yet I currently don’t really want to work in that field. I want to be an illustrator! It just goes to show the path of life is long and you have to learn who you are as you go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there, Jessica! How are you! Just like your family my family is large to. It is actually good that your parents are still together and so are my parents. It good because it rare in America but not in India and you can see couples together for ages and ages and that actually good thing. Good luck finding your major.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jessica! I think it’s so cool that your dad is a coach in MLB. It seems like there are a lot of seniors in this class. We all must be super antsy this time of the year as graduation is only a few more weeks away. I also went to Kanakuk as a kid and the only thing I remember was the big blob. I wonder if it is still there in the pool?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Jessica! It is awesome to see how family is so important to you. It is a vital part of a healthy life and I'm glad you have such a wonderful one. It is really cool that your dad is a coach in the MLB. I bet that can be pretty exciting, although it must be a bummer to not see your dad as often. Great intro and I look forward to reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jessica! It seems like you have a really interesting life and enjoying every minute of it. I can definitely see how having a dad in the MLB would have its ups and downs. Getting to go to baseball games is great, but being on the road all of the time is also difficult. Anthropology is a really interesting major and I didn't even know OU offered it. Good luck with the finals!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Jessica reading your introduction I felt welcomed the whole time, the first pictures of your nephew were so cute, they seem like a bundle of joy to be around. and I like that you are really close with your family they seem like fun to be around. I would love to go too a baseball game, I have a lot of things on my bucket list I would like to fulfill. But this year is coming to an end and I want to wish you good luck on your finals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts